Snaking down alongside Cambodia and Laos, the dragon-shaped Vietnam is a popular destination for those interested in its turbulent recent history, immense street food, and magnificent coastline.
Mobile phone use, like most other things, is cheap in Vietnam. Average mobile broadband speeds do lag behind the average for the region, but progress is on its way and the country is currently moving over to 4G from 3G. There are three main mobile network providers :
Where to buy?
Most visitors will come in overland, or fly into Hanoi or Hoi Chi Minh City. If flying, you can buy a SIM at vendor stalls in the arrival halls at the airport. Otherwise, buy from an official provider in any town or city. You will need your passport to purchase the SIM.
Note that in late 2016 the Vietnamese government started enforcing registration rules, and cancelled millions of illegal unregistered SIM cards. Unofficial vendors may not be able to officially register the SIM, so are best avoided. Buy instead from an official phone shop.
Wifi is widely available at the usual sorts of places, hotels and cafes etc.
Phone theft by scooter snatching is common in Vietnam. Review our security tips and don’t use your phone too close to the road. If using public computers or doing online banking etc, be aware that Vietnam is one of the most prolific nations for internet fraud.
Want to buy before you fly?
- Ready to use SIM cards just tun on mobile data and data roaming on your UNLOCKED phone. (Expiry date of current stock is Oct 31, 2019)
- 15-Day Non-stop roaming data with 6 GB at full speed in 51 top Asian, Europe destinations including Russia, Turkey, South Africa, Ghana, Ukaine, NZ, and Australia (Data is NOT working in Thailand)
- No need for setting APN except you use iOS and has APN profile installed (Need to remove it first).
- No worry about Firewall in China. You can use google or Facebook without VPN; To using this SIM in China. Your phone must be able to use LTE Band 39, 40 and 41 which is not common for US phone model. If not, you will get only EDGE. (for iOS, only iPhone 7 or later in order to receive 4G in China)
- English manual is uploaded as picture in this product. Please read and download it before start using. Dial #123# to activate the SIM.
So, for visitors which is the Best SIM Card for Vietnam?
For most visitors, we would recommend going With Viettel for the most extensive coverage.